7 Examples of Chemical Reactions in Everyday Life
The word Chemistry is derived from the word alchemy, which means magic, is what the people called the transformation of matter as they did not understand how it worked back then. Chemistry is all around us, from every breath we take to the light from the sun that helps us to keep warm. Everything can be explained with the help of chemistry.
Let us look at 7 examples of chemical reactions which we see in our daily lives but we usually turn a blind eye to.
- Respiration: It is the process by which in our body energy molecules combine with oxygen to produce adenosine triphosphate (ATP) with carbon dioxide and water as by-products.
C6H12O6 + 6O2 → 6CO2 + 6H2O + energy (36 ATPs)
- Photosynthesis: Plants get food for themselves through photosynthesis. It is the process by which plants take in sunlight and carbon dioxide from the environment and gives out glucose. The reaction is as follows:
6CO2 + 6H2O + light → C6H12O6 + 6 O2
- Rusting away of metals: The way how iron degrades away when left to the elements is termed as rusting. Few other examples are tarnishing of silver and verdigris on copper. The following reaction is the rusting of iron.
Fe + O2 + H2O → Fe2O3.XH2O
- Combustion: We have all played with fire, lit a match at least, voila a combustion reaction. Combustion is basically high energy molecules combined with oxygen giving out Carbon Dioxide and water.
C3H8 + 5O2 → 4H2O + 3CO2 + energy
- Batteries: They convert chemical energy to electrical energy by electrochemical or RedOx reactions. Let us take the case of a galvanic cell.
Zn(s) + Cu2+(aq) → Zn2+(aq) + Cu(s)
- Digestion: A diverse order of reactions occur in our stomach while digesting food molecules. From the point of entry in our mouth where an enzyme in our saliva called amylase starts breaking the food down to smaller molecules for better absorption into our body to the hydrochloric acid present in the stomach which breaks it down even further so that enzyme action can work further to divide them into proteins which can be absorbed by the intestines. The following is a neutralization reaction occurring in the stomach.
HCl + NaHCO3 → NaCl + H2CO3
- Soaps and detergents: The cleaning action of Soaps and Detergents is by the process of chemical reactions termed as saponification. Soap emulsifies grime, which means water can be used to lift away oily stains. Detergents act as surfactants, lowering the surface tension of water so it can interact with oils, isolate them and rinse them away.
Here we have seen a few scenarios in our daily lives which we can explain better using the help of chemical reactions. There is no doubt that having a better understanding of the chemical reactions around us will help us in the days to come. For more information on topics of chemistry check out our YouTube channel :
Basil C Baby is an Engineer and Blogger with impending knowledge in several sectors of the economy. Currently working with think and learn pvt. ltd. in helping students to come fall in love with learning.